Hello and welcome to my little section of the cyber world! I'm a working girl who spends most of her spare time surrounded by beads and wire, and when I'm not doing that I'm probably reading or baking... or wedding planning... I have an online shop where I sell my beaded creations, and this is a place for me to talk about anything that strikes me!

Monday 1 March 2010

My Moussaka

Last night I made moussaka for dinner... at least, not having a recipe, I made my variation of it! So here we go...

Serves 6-8 people depending on how hungry you are.

Fry 1 chopped onion, add 800g lamb mince and stir it up until it's all brown. Add two tins of tomatoes, one beef oxo cube, a good squirt of tomato puree, about 1.5tsp nutmeg, a bay leaf and a good bit of black pepper. Let this simmer for AT LEAST 1 hr!

Slice up 3 aubergines fairly thinly (about half a centimetre thick). If your hob is working (unlike mine - I had to go next door to fry the mince lol!) then you can fry the aubergine slices, if not, then brush them with oil and stick them under the grill or on the george foreman grill (what I did!).

Also slice up a couple of courgettes - but not if one of the people you are cooking for is allergic to them (which I only found out once I'd put the whole thing together).

Take a big casserole dish and lay cooked aubergine slices over the base. Put half the mince on top, add a layer of courgette slices and then spread a good handful of spinach over this. Put the rest of the mince on top of the spinach and top it with a second layer of aubergine slices.

Next make a super thick white sauce. Melt 4oz butter, stir in 4oz flour and cook for a few mins (lack of hob, I made this in the microwave). Add a pint of milk and keep cooking and stirring until it gets really thick. And it will. Get really thick I mean, really really thick so you can hardly stir it. Then beat in two eggs, keep stirring past the stage where it looks disgusting until it starts to look all glossy and gorgeous. Pour this sauce over the top of the moussaka, then sprinkle a nice layer of grated cheese on the top.

Stick it in the oven to bake for about 40 mins, the topping will bubble up and go all brown and gorgeous.....

Then take it out, let it stand for 5 mins, and serve! (Do let it stand, it makes serving it a whole lot easier!)

I served it with jacket potatoes and green beans :) num num num!

No comments:

Post a Comment