Mmmmmmmmm I made paella for dinner last night :) it was so good! I've never made it before, so I semi-followed the recipe off the back of the rice packet. Unfortunately I failed to take a photo at the time because I was so hungry and it looked so good, so you can have a photo of the leftovers instead which I ate for lunch today :) :) :)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 chicken breasts, chopped
1 leek, sliced (this wasn't in the original recipe!)
a handful of mushrooms, chopped
a mixed pack of asparagus, spring onions, baby courgettes and sugar snap peas, chopped (good ol' M&S)
11 oz/300 g paella rice
2 pints vegetable stock
salt and pepper
3tbsp dry sherry
a big handful of prawns
a big handful of frozen peas
1. Fry the onion and leek for aaaaaages (like 10 mins) in a mixture of olive oil and butter (REAL butter whatever the doctors say, the taste has no comparison!) until it's all soft and lovely.
2. Add the garlic and chicken and fry for a few minutes.
3. Add the rest of the veg (except the peas) and fry for 5-10 mins until it's starting to look cooked.
4. Add the paprika and some seasoning, then stir in the rice and cook for about 5 mins so it's well coated.
5. Add the stock, heat up to the boil and then turn it down and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 mins (most of the stock should be absorbed)
6. Pour on the sherry, add the prawns and peas, put on a lid and give it another 5 mins.
7. Stir it all up, dollop (I love that word!) onto plates, and eat!
I think it'd be good with some fresh parsley on top too maybe... only we didn't have any so I couldn't try it out.
This should serve 4 people with reasonable appetites :) Enjoy!
Incidentally, I emailed this photo from my phone to the computer - being very technical today! My bit of advice - unless you get free internet don't bother, it cost £2!